What's ?                               Additional Options

test menu

                                                      

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rock Bands With TWO lead singers

2
 3


At work (yes, I do actually do something other than blog all day!!) we usually play on our speaker system "Rock Show", which is mostly classic rock. I don't think it's because it's the most popular; I think it's because it's the least offensive (most people would rather hear "Concrete Beats", which is all rap, which is just to difficult for a lot of people to listen to all day).

But...oh, yeah...the point of this post.

I was talking to someone about the songs and I we talked about the lead singers. That got me thinking...


"I wonder how many bands had two lead singers?"

Hence...this post.

Following is my first pass at those bands that had two or more lead singers. Before we get to the list, some simple rules:
  1. The band had to have the two lead singers in the group at the same time (so, sorry, Doobie Brothers...Michael McDonald came after Tom Johnston).
  2. The two singers don't have to have equal billing, but they should both be considered "lead singers" (hence, the Rolling Stones are not on this list)
  3. Obscure bands that typically don't get regular airplay (so, sorry Fugazi...I love you guys, but you can't be on this list; but I'll come up with one for you I swear).
  4. hmm....I think that's it for the rules.

So here are the bands I can think of so far. They are in no particular order other than the order in which they come to mind:
  • The Beatles
  • The Band
  • The Moody Blues
  • Jefferson Airplane
  • America
  • Bread
  • The Who
  • Traveling Wilburys
  • Chicago
  • Traffic
  • B52's
  • CSN
  • CSN&Y
  • XTC (my personal fav)
  • Pink Floyd
  • The Cars
  • Grateful Dead (only because I have no rule that I have to like the group)
  • Tears For Fears
  • Styx
  • Journey (yes, there was a singer before/with Steve Perry, if only for a little while)
  • The Beach Boys
  • The Eagles (trifecta here!!)
  • Fleetwod Mac (another trifecta)
  • The Clash
  • Supertramp
  • Three Dog Night (added 9/26) 
  • Alice In Chains (added 10/18)

Some bands that didn't make the cut (and why):
  • Genesis:  Gabriel/Collins, so two lead singers, right?  But Collins (I think) only did a song or two while Gabriel was really the lead singer.  Collins came to the front after Gabriel's departure (and subsequently ruined Genesis...but again, fodder for another post).
  • Toto:  Isolation perhaps had two lead singers, but there's plenty of fog surrounding who sang what.  Besides, it was one album during a transition period...oh, and it's my list and I say they don't count.
  • The Rolling Stones:  Sorry, but Mr. Richards can not (nor ever) be considered a "lead singer".  Sorry.
  • New Order:  For anyone who cares, "Movement" (brilliant and under-appreciated IMHO) featured just about the entire band singing "lead", but they eventually settled on one member.

I'm sure I missed a few.

I'm sure some I missed I've never heard of.

I'm sure the list indicates the generation(s) of music I listened to.

I'm sure you'll submit your additions.

I hope you do.  A "definitive list" would be wonderful, no?

P.S.  Maybe some day I'll actually list the names of the lead singers.

2 comments:

  1. The blackout have 2 singers, as do AlexisonFire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that these bands may fail Rule 3, but I was rather intrigued by them both...so...hey...they made the list!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...